Haven’t quite nailed down what I want to do with her hair, but I feel like I’m getting closer. Her face and height are right, and her expression (although completely accidental) fits her character so well.
Still using almost the exact same process as before, although instead of going over the blue line-work with black and go for a ink like look, I opted to throw a Hue and Saturation adj layer on top of it and soften it to a brownish blue instead of pure black. I felt like if I’m going to find a balance between cell shading/coloring and digital painting, I need to get away from the heavy ink lines that are more closely tied to western comic book art style.
I’ll probably do one more row as I render her further, I’m still using 100% brush right now, just focusing on shapes and creating volume at the moment, but I know from experience that when I start pushing the digital painting/rendered look; I’ll need that solid foundation.
I’ve got some ideas on how to add some interest/details to the uniform to help bring it to life more. I’ve been noticing that although I wanted something simple when I initially design it, what I got was just a starting point and like everything so far I need to be open to change. This whole thing so far has been quite the learning process.
One I’m enjoying more and more.
“The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams.” – Oprah Winfrey